This is how the quiz works.
There are twelve questions.
There are three sections: easy, hard, evil.
There are four questions in each section.
You get the question then a photo and the the answer is below the photo.
Keep track of how you do because there is a scoring system at the end.
- What is the name of the market in Melbourne which is built on a graveyard on the corner of Victoria and Elizabeth street?
Answer: Queen Victoria Market. You get the point if you said Queen Vic, Vic or Victoria Market. For more information on the graveyard click here
2. What is the southern most point of mainland Australia which is named after Thomas who was a friend of Matthew Flinders?
Answer: Wilson’s Promontory
3. When was Federation in Australia?
Answer: 1901 . The picture is Tom Robert’s painting of the opening of Australia’s first parliament in May 1901. For more information click here
4. What year was the Eureaka Stockade
Answer: 1854. The photo is of the flag of the Southern Cross.
5. Where did Australia’s parliament sit from 1901-1927?
Answer: Parliament House Melbourne. For more information on the fascinating building click here.
6. Where was the first shot fired by the British Empire in World War One ?
Answer: Point Nepean in Victoria. For more information click here
7. What island did Captain James Cook name after he ‘discovered’ it on June 7th 1770?
Answer: Magnetic Island.
8. What is the name of the beach Harold Holt drowned at and what year did he drown?
Answer: Cheviot Beach 1967. For more information click here.
9. What is the name of the boat that sank off the shipwreck coast in Victoria on the 1st of June 1878?
Answer: The Loch Ard. The photo is of Loch Ard Gorge. For more information click here.
10. What is the name of the man who named the Grampian Mountains in Western Victoria and mapped much of the district?
Answer: Major Thomas Mitchell. For more information click here.
11. What is the name of the small Victorian town named after the man who was Governor of Victoria from 1926-1931?
Answer: Somers. The photo is of Somers’ beach.
12. What is the name of the first lighthouse to be erected in South Australia?
Answer: Cape Willoughby Light House.
So that’s it. How did you do?
1-4: Well you’ve got some basics down pat. Good start.
5-8: Impressive. You know you stuff.
9-12: Incredible effort. You may know more than is sensible
12: If you got them all… Sure you didn’t write the quiz?
Hope you enjoyed it.
The photos are all mine apart from the Tom Roberts painting which can be found at http://www.aph.gov.au/Visit_Parliament/Parliament_House_Art_Collection/Tom_Roberts_Big_Picture and the Eureka Flag which can be found at http://www.artgalleryofballarat.com.au/exhibitions-and-events/collection/australian-collection/the-flag-of-the-southern-cross-(eureka-flag).aspx