Clonmines Medieval Town

IMG_1917

One of the more interesting medieval sites that not that much is known about. Clonmines is the remains of an abandoned town with the ruins of two churches, three tower houses and an Augustinian Priory. The town was a port that may have been connected with New Ross in the early 1200s. It was an important town. In the 1300s justice was dispensed from there and the road between Wexford and Clonmines was considered a main road. Unfortunately the town was abandoned in the 1600s when its harbour silted up, but there were Augustinians there still into the 1700s. Clonmines also maintained a political presence into the 1800s with the final MPs leaving in 1801.   
IMG_1919 IMG_1920

Clonmines today is on private land so access isn’t possible, but the view across the river is staggering.

IMG_1918

For more information

http://www.bannowhistory.ie/journal-2-bannow-historical-society/